Thursday, September 12, 2013

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2011

Still those without power

We have several friends in the area that are still without power & heat. One friend, whose husband is serving in Afghanistan, is home with her mattress pulled up close to the fire place to stay warm at night. She is diligently keeping the fire burning in hopes of keeping her pipes from bursting. We've offered our home or generator but she is a trooper and is determined to make do. This is as rough as we know it.

Can I just say how grateful I am for a sturdy roof to keep us dry, strong walls to shield the freezing wind & salt to melt  ice. For heat, for warm stew... and hot cocoa... we are truly spoiled.  I think often of Lauvi, a young gal who came to live with the children & I in Germany. The stories she would eventually tell of her life in war-torn Kosovo, living in a half bombed out apartment building. Extreme cold, little food,  I realized that I could not comprehend. So much I take for granted.

My heart is full of gratitude for the little storms that cause me to ponder and push  me to prepare a little more. Both temporally & spiritually for whatever storms may lie ahead.