Thursday, September 12, 2013

FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 2011

Krispy Kreme Monte Cristos Sandwiches for Dinner...YUM!

Personally I can't stomach Krispy Kreme donuts, but my family & Seminary students love them. I had left over’s from this morning so I decided to us them for dinner. I remember a sandwich my mom used to make called the Monte Cristo. Still my mouth waters at the memory.

A Monte Cristo is made by using white bread with crust cut off. Then light mayo with ham and slice of Swiss cheese. Then cut diagonally, dipped into egg batter and deep fried, then rolled in powder sugar. As kids, we could not get enough. I don't fry much food, so I never made them.

Today the thought came to me that a Krispy Kreme Donut cut like a bagel, layered open faced with ham & cheese & then broiled,  these would taste very much like a Monte Cristo. You would have though I was doing something sacrilegious to see the kids react as they watched in horror as I supposedly desecrated the last box of the Krispy Kremes.


The results were just what I expected.  Two batches disappeared in less then a few moments. Magically, the "I'm not hungry"s were begging for more. I suppose with ham & cheese, I can feel a little better about my kids eating these things. To make, you will need:
  
   1 dozen Krispy Kremes
   1 package sliced Swiss cheese
   1 package sliced smoked ham

Now, be brave, try them, and don't quibble till you nibble.